As my artist's statement explains, my work is utterly incomprehensible and is therefore full of deep significance. -- Calvin and Hobbes

Thursday, November 13, 2008

Practice..not for the weary


Here in Atlanta, there are a number of opportunities to practice figure drawing, including a fun session that involves tater tots and beer in a bar! -tater tots are free even!!! (for more info: http://boozerdoodle.org/)

I started meeting a group every Thursday night at one of the colleges for some practice, because it has been 20 years since I actually had a live model to draw (in college). It's an intimate group and everyone knows each other and the models by now, and at $5.00 it's is a bargain to brush up on my skills. I am grateful to my friend, Kat, who is involved enough in the art scene downtown to inspire me to get off my butt and go to this group. It only took 2 years! (you have no idea!) Also, next month we'll be in a show for ASIFA "Tribute To The Golden Age Of Comics" that was pretty much her idea, too!

I'll admit, if you haven't ever had to draw a figure in 1 or 2 minute poses, it may be a bit intimidating at first (like all I could get was a leg, or quasi scribble or it was so out of proportion, I wanted to hide my page from the 'master' [I hate you] who was sitting next to me), but if you keep it up, you will find it liberating, and all of your skills will improve! Not only that, but getting out means another chance to talk to other artists..and that is the best kind of social networking!

I hope you like this pose I did tonight; this was a 10 minute pose, I think.

Also, thanks, Tim, for singlehandedly buying all of my art! He's currently the high bidder on Ebay! lqtm.

Cheers,

Rebecca


Share/Bookmark

5 comments:

  1. Keep those scribbles and look at them 3 months from now. They probably resemble the figure more that you thought!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If it is only a few minutes per drawing how bout putting some more up here?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Speaking of weary - I've got some more work for you. Stop by my latest post - I may have ruined your holiday.

    ReplyDelete

Have something nice to say? Put 'er there!

Things to Ponder

Don't pay any attention to what they write about you. Just measure it in inches. -Andy Warhol

We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things, because we're curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths.
-Walt Disney
Follow smellyrhino on Twitter

Followers