As my artist's statement explains, my work is utterly incomprehensible and is therefore full of deep significance. -- Calvin and Hobbes

Thursday, October 6, 2011

NANOWRIMO COUNTDOWN!


To all aspiring and successful writers out there, the countdown to November's NaNoWriMo has begun. That's the National Novel Writing Month, where you are challenged to write 50,000 words in one 30 day period that is November of each year!

With just 25 days to prepare your outline or decide you will simply wing it without one, I challenge you join in on the fun! If you have ever thought you may have a novel in you, now is the time to get that sucker out of your head! (even if you never intend to share it with anyone).

I learned plenty last year, about just letting it go, letting it flow--with abandon, without regard to quality, simply writing and writing and discovering some plot twists along the way. The characters I created kind of developed themselves as I wrote the story, which made it easier for me than I had prepared for. A friend of mine stated that writing a novel was sort of like channeling. I couldn't agree more. I was channeling my imagination!

Really, the brilliance of NaNoWriMo is in not worrying about whether it will be ready for the publisher at the end of the month....even the greatest story tellers still do rewrites, and I'll do plenty. Heck, this particular story may never get rewritten. But, I guarantee that I'll improve because I wrote it!

Try the exercise, for one month and see how far you can take it. 1667 words per day, about 5 pages. You will find yourself learning a lot about your imagination, how ideas flow, how discipline like this can help you with other tasks. The benefits are great! The only downside was that at the end of the month last November, I didn't feel like writing for a while. ;) This year, I will go for it again and I am determined to show an improvement in my discipline, and maybe I'll actually share the novel this time (after some good rewrites, naturally).

You can head over to Nanowrimo.org for more information on writing your novel in November!

Have a great day,
Rebecca
Share/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have something nice to say? Put 'er there!

Things to Ponder

Don't pay any attention to what they write about you. Just measure it in inches. -Andy Warhol

We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things, because we're curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths.
-Walt Disney
Follow smellyrhino on Twitter

Followers