As my artist's statement explains, my work is utterly incomprehensible and is therefore full of deep significance. -- Calvin and Hobbes

Friday, March 20, 2015

Thinking of Tripp...

Temple Circles18x24", acrylic on Canvas

For some reason, The red circles are almost like alarm bells in a fire station, but believe me, my feelings about this painting are really far from there.  I was early into this painting when its name, Temple Circles came to mind, because rather than the jolt of an alarm,  I was really thinking of the serenity of a pagoda.  I love the wispy feel of the eaves of pagodas, those beautiful downward sloping rooflines that just at the last moment, turn so graciously toward Heaven in such an organic movement as the branches of an evergreen would.  I've never traveled to Asia, but I know I would love the landscape. I often think of that type of scenery when I'm painting. Not sure what that is telling me, but the imagery seems to define peace, and I like peace. I am drawn to it. 

As I was finishing up, I was reminded of Tripp, a very young man, for whom I had the joy of painting a mural. He lives in India now with his parents. I think a painting in the future may play on the vibe of Tripp's mural, which is a sweet tree with nesting owls, from whose branches hang what we lovingly refer to as croquet balls, but were really inspired by the Turkish Eye that Tripp's parents brought home from one of their 'trips.' (They travel so much that I'm sure naming their son was easy.)  Thinking of you, today, Tripp. I hope you are putting your cape to good use!  

Have a nice day, Rebecca


Share/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have something nice to say? Put 'er there!

Things to Ponder

Don't pay any attention to what they write about you. Just measure it in inches. -Andy Warhol

We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things, because we're curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths.
-Walt Disney
Follow smellyrhino on Twitter

Followers